• Page:

TOPIC:

Great lakes Salmon Initiative Jan 02, 2022 5:47 am #32973

• Lickety-Split
  • Lickety-Split's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1763
Looking for a part time fisheries job to make some extra cash this spring?
The Fish and Wildlife Service's Mass Fish Marking Program will be recruiting staff this winter to begin working in the 2022 tagging season starting in March. These positions will be permanent intermittent (when we need folks) that pay around $16/ hour with OT. The positions will assist the Biologist in charge of the trailer operations by clipping and tagging the fish that are rejected by the Autofish trailer and loading the trailer with fish. All training will be provided and no previous experience is needed. Employees would be traveling to state and federal fish hatcheries around Lake Michigan on 5-10 day tours with all expenses (hotel, meals, mileage) paid. We are looking to hire about 6-8 folks. Location is not an issue has the employee would be traveling from their homes to the hatcheries for all tours.
Those interested should contact Chuck Bronte at 920.412.8079 for more information or go to  USAJOBS.GOV  to apply--the positions will be advertised as Animal Care Taker 2 for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. I anticipate the announcement going out within a week from today.

#2 We attended last weeks Seagrant steelhead meeting and here's a report from it. Dan O'Keefe gave some preliminary data from the Anglers Diary program. The data provided by participants is critical to gain a better understanding of wild production of steelhead and how strong or weak our river runs are. We really encourage anglers to participate. There are phone aps you can download to submit data, it is very easy. More information here:
www.michiganseagrant.org/.../great-lakes-angler.../
Anglers and DNR Biologists from around Michigan reported how the fall runs were. On Lake Michigan and Lake Superior Rivers generally, there was a spurt of fish just behind the salmon runs but fishing got tougher after that. Warm river temps and low water were factors holding fish back. Lake Huron anglers had to work hard and be persistent to catch some steelies as runs were not large. Recent rains and snowmelt in the last warm up are bringing in some fresh fish. This will help the winter fishery. Results varied by what river you were on.
Jay Wesley reviewed the reduced creel limit of one steelhead in northern Lake Michigan streams from March 15 to May 15 instituted by the NRC. More info on that here:
www.bridgemi.com/michigan-environment-wa...s-amid-fish-declines
We also got a presentation on how to better handle and release fish to reduce mortality. More info here along with other tips:
www.keepfishwet.org/principles
Good luck if you get out fishing over the holidays! Download the app and help with the Angler Diary program if you are after steelhead. 
Lickety-Split

Life is not measured by the breaths you take
but by the moments that take your breath away
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bull, reel fun, Pikesmith, Wildkat Tim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Lickety-Split.

Great lakes Salmon Initiative Jan 02, 2022 12:37 pm #32976

• slack57
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 290
thank you for the above. Has there been any information released on that record King caught in Ludington as far as age, tributary it originated from etc..

Great lakes Salmon Initiative Jan 02, 2022 1:00 pm #32977

• Lickety-Split
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Slack, I was wondering the same thing. I have not heard a word about it. I was going to wait to after the new year holidays and give Jay Wesley a phone call to see if there has been any news . Sure will be interesting to get the information on that fish.  
Lickety-Split

Great lakes Salmon Initiative Jan 04, 2022 8:11 am #32981

• BNature
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1459
let us know if you find out anything!  

Great lakes Salmon Initiative Jan 04, 2022 8:25 am #32982

• Lickety-Split
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Good Morning Mike, Happy New Year.

I just talked with Jay about an hour ago, and as of now there is know word yet. His best guess is it is probably a 4 year old He mentioned that he has seen only a very few 5 year old fish and they usually had poor growth rates on them.

I gave him an invite to come down and catch(sample)some fish this year. Mentioned we could slip into Michigan from the back door!
He said he just might make some time this year. 
Lickety-Split

• Page: