• BNature's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1461

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Lake Michigan Public Fisheries Seminar
Tuesday, March 30, 6:00-8:30pm Central Time
FREE, registration required for virtual linkJoin us for a seminar on fish biology, ecology, and other fisheries topics in Lake Michigan. The virtual presentation will cover topics such as:
  • Lower food web resources
  • Prey fish biomass
  • Hatchery rearing of salmon and trout
  • Survival growth and diet of salmon and trout
The seminar is free, but we ask that you register so we can send virtual connection information and additional resources. For more information, contact Mitch Zischke at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Register:  bit.ly/public-fisheries-2021

This virtual seminar is presented by Illinois-Indiana Sea Grant, Purdue Extension, Purdue Forestry and Natural Resources, United States Geological Survey, Illinois Department of Natural Resources, and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirty, Bull, Pikesmith, MC_angler, Bk, Fish head, little bill, StormJunkie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Informational Meeting this week Mar 26, 2021 12:05 pm #30299

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1721
Thanks for posting that Mike!
Boatless!

Informational Meeting this week Mar 30, 2021 9:09 pm #30397

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
The presentation was good.  Unfortunately I could only attend about 1/3 of it due to a prior commitment.  I was shocked there was not a bigger audience.  It seemed about 50'ish people.  I would have expected much higher.  I will have to look and see if there was a recording that can be watched.
Boatless!

Informational Meeting this week Mar 31, 2021 4:37 am #30399

• BNature
  • BNature's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1461
I stuck it out for the entire show, but you probably saw the best speakers. Were you still there when they showed the "bottom sled" which towed along the bottom and made a video of what it was going across?  Amazing video showing the quagga mussels once the sled was in water between 90 and 500 feet deep. The bottom is absolutely paved with them. They might as well have been dragging the sled across a pea-gravel parking lot. Deeper than that, not so many and way deep none at all.

The last guy from the Illinois fish hatchery basically gave the same presentation he would give to a bus load of school kids on a field trip. Much more basic info than technical details. It was interesting that they got 600K chinook eggs from Michigan last year and when Indiana came up short we seemed to just say "oh well."  

Informational Meeting this week Mar 31, 2021 8:40 am #30407

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Yea I saw the sled.  That was really neat.  I made through the first presentation and that was about it.
Boatless!

Informational Meeting this week Mar 31, 2021 9:54 am #30408

• MC_angler
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1330

I stuck it out for the entire show, but you probably saw the best speakers. Were you still there when they showed the "bottom sled" which towed along the bottom and made a video of what it was going across?  Amazing video showing the quagga mussels once the sled was in water between 90 and 500 feet deep. The bottom is absolutely paved with them. They might as well have been dragging the sled across a pea-gravel parking lot. Deeper than that, not so many and way deep none at all.

The last guy from the Illinois fish hatchery basically gave the same presentation he would give to a bus load of school kids on a field trip. Much more basic info than technical details. It was interesting that they got 600K chinook eggs from Michigan last year and when Indiana came up short we seemed to just say "oh well."  

There's a lot of work that goes on behind the scenes Mike, stay tuned. We certainly didn't say "oh well" with the egg shortage, we always exhaust all our options, especially on something as important as stocking fish

• Page: