Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

When will the water clear up after this blow? Mar 18, 2021 6:52 pm #30187

• Rteam
  • Rteam's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi all, Want to try and get out either Saturday or Sunday afternoon this weekend, out of EC, but before I drive all the way down from Chicago, wondering if water will clear by Sat afternoon or the next day, which usually results in better fishing.  Wind and waves wise looks fine sat am on but thinking there may even be rollers still by then. Thoughts?
Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

When will the water clear up after this blow? Mar 18, 2021 8:13 pm #30189

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1721
Its hard to say when the water will clear up.  It really depends on how much south winds we get subsequent to the north blow along with associated underwater currents.  It also depends on how churned up it gets (I suspect pretty bad) but I havent seen a clear satellite picture yet.  I would guess the water to be pretty dirty regardless if you fish saturday or sunday.  I would also guess that saturday morning you will see 1-2' rollers.  Easily fishable if that is in fact the case.  Sunday would probably be a pretty flat lake right near shore, but the south winds will be picking up throughout the morning and may get irritating and make boat control more difficult.  

If I were personally going to pick a day this weekend to go, it would be saturday around mid day.  I am sure there are alot of opinions on this, but thats my $.02 worth :) . Either way I would rather be fishing than doing most anything else but getting the boat out of storage and prepped is on my agenda for the weekend.
Boatless!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fish head

When will the water clear up after this blow? Mar 18, 2021 10:00 pm #30191

• Rteam
Thanks Dirty, good point about the brisk  south wind !
The following user(s) said Thank You: Insanecoho

When will the water clear up after this blow? Mar 19, 2021 7:19 am #30193

• BNature
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1461
The water won't clear significantly for weeks. Never does. Doesn't mean there aren't any fish to be caught. In one sense, it helps since the chalky water warms more quickly and will pull more fish inshore to warm their fins a bit.  

It actually has to do with lake currents. A couple of big blows like this gets the lake's water spinning counter clockwise (instead of the clockwise flow, most of the year. In southern Wisconsin the lakeshore is mostly clay soil, the waves wash the clay into the water, it swirls down past Chicago, swings through Indiana and washes on up the Michigan side past St. Joe before swinging out to sea around South or Grand Haven.  Water will stay generally chalky-looking on into or through April.  

I have often found better fishing after a moderate blow. It's like the surface oriented cohos "surf" the big waves southward into the shallows.  
The following user(s) said Thank You: dzamo, Fish head, Ltrain, Insanecoho

When will the water clear up after this blow? Mar 19, 2021 10:13 am #30195

• Rteam
Thanks Brother Nature, sounds like I just need to get on the water period and start huntin em!

When will the water clear up after this blow? Mar 20, 2021 3:11 pm #30201

• Xmxer
  • Thank you received: 22
Water was t too bad out of the ditch. Found them in 24-32 feet. Went east to doughnut, trolled to the mouth of the port. 9 in an hour and could never find that 10th. Anything orange, storms and spoons. Good luck guys! Thanks for chalky water tip BNaure! 

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirty, Pikesmith, Webster3, Fish head, Ltrain

When will the water clear up after this blow? Mar 20, 2021 3:20 pm #30202

• bob
  • Thank you received: 741
Good job! Thanks for the report 
Sea Ray 290 Amberjack
Kelliann 4

When will the water clear up after this blow? Mar 20, 2021 4:33 pm #30203

• Tmik34
  • Thank you received: 1217
Great job thanks for the report!
-Lady M- Sea Ray 290 Amberjack

• Page: