Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

shore ice? Feb 25, 2021 9:25 am #29909

• kphaggs
  • kphaggs's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 5
i plan on fishing east chicago(ameristar/jerose beach tomorrow friday. im wondering about ice build-up on shore. not sure if if ice lingers longer or shorter on sand. also, has indiana opened up the lake front?  thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

shore ice? Feb 27, 2021 5:20 am #29926

• BNature
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1461
East Chicago marina was still iced in a day or two ago. I'd guess Hammond would be as well. 

shore ice? Feb 27, 2021 6:05 am #29927

• reel fun
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 212
Time to keep this thread active. Having just retired, I now have many more weekday opportunities to fish when the winds are right for my little 16'. Any updates the local guys can provide is much appreciated, particularly what launches are open from Hammond to Mich City. Looks like there may be some opportunites this coming week to perhaps wet a line if you can get in the water. 
 Can anyone comment on the ramp/facilities at whihala park? Looks good on satellite, but never been here. Have small boat, I think I remember guys saying it may get sand blown in, but the lake is high now and I don't need much water. Safe area to park/leave truck/trailer? Any help appreciated and keep the updates coming, much appreciated for us guys not as fortunate to live so close.

shore ice? Feb 27, 2021 8:26 am #29929

• BNature
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1461
I used to use Whihala all the time but when the lake was low it wasn't much good except for jetskis. Since then, they've added a bit more "harbor" wall and that, plus the high water wasn't an issue last year. I launched there once when Hammond and EC were covid-closed. It was $25 as I recall launch fee.  Didn't like that. Probably as safe an area as any other facility in NW Indiana. 

• Page: