• Page:

TOPIC:

Tips always needed Oct 29, 2019 10:09 am #25429

• BNature
  • BNature's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1461
Most of you know I put together a column for each issue of Great Lakes Angler magazine where I put together tips on anything "Great Lakes" I think the magazine's readers would find interesting, useful, informative or otherwise think is important. One might think I'd have to sort through dozens of them each issue, especially, since each tip used gets a reward of $30 worth of merchandise.

In truth, I need tips, your tips, your buddy's tips, tips you steal from fishing shows! Everyone wants a good tip.... I need them!

So if you have anything remotely interesting, useful, informative or otherwise important, send it to me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. It's worth $30 in fishing stuff! PS - Send a photo if possible.

Thanks,
Capt. Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by BNature.

Tips always needed Dec 21, 2019 9:13 am #25608

• Lickety-Split
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1763

Most of you know I put together a column for each issue of Great Lakes Angler magazine where I put together tips on anything "Great Lakes" I think the magazine's readers would find interesting, useful, informative or otherwise think is important. One might think I'd have to sort through dozens of them each issue, especially, since each tip used gets a reward of $30 worth of merchandise.

In truth, I need tips, your tips, your buddy's tips, tips you steal from fishing shows! Everyone wants a good tip.... I need them!

So if you have anything remotely interesting, useful, informative or otherwise important, send it to me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. It's worth $30 in fishing stuff! PS - Send a photo if possible.

Thanks,
Capt. Mike

Some of us have participated in this. Guys get involved with this one and earn yourself a Christmas present Momma didn't know about.
Lickety-Split

Life is not measured by the breaths you take
but by the moments that take your breath away

Tips always needed Dec 22, 2019 7:00 am #25613

• BNature
  • BNature's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1461
Thanks Ed: When I took this particular job, I thought it would be "easy money." It's not. Most of the tips which appear in the magazine are ones I dream up or see being used by others. Others are the result of me directly contacting friends or fellow captains. Only a few are from "strangers." I expected to be over run - I wish I was over run with tips and tricks.

A tipster can remain anonymous, if they prefer. Let me know and I'll leave your name out, but do include your name and address so the magazine can send your gift package.

Who doesn't have little tips or suggestions they can pass on to fellow anglers. What are the little tricks, what are the giant tricks that you use every day for common situations? What are the tips you can give based on unusual or even in emergency situations. Anything is fair game. Do you set downriggers, divers or planers first? How do you decide which lures to use? Do you prefer salty treats or sweet on your boat?

Each tip can be a few sentences or a few paragraphs. A photo is worth a thousand words so include one, if possible. Send to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. (preferred) or text to 219-819-0000.

Tips always needed Dec 23, 2019 10:56 am #25618

• Storm1m
  • Thank you received: 22
Rigging your spoons with a good beadchain swivel a rod length from your coastlock snap. I recommend Vmc bell snaps. You can change line weight from the bead chain to the snap. Heavier for off shore lighter for spring. It’s more effective in the spring with smaller standard size spoons and cranks. 15lb flouro is my choice. Hope it helps

Tips always needed Dec 23, 2019 9:02 pm #25621

• Tmik34
  • Thank you received: 1217
running a 2-3 color secret weapon rig as a dual purpose rod for smaller setups. It can be used as a board rod in the spring and fall and a rigger rod in the summer to help with the pesky summer lulls that can happen with the clear water.

running sliders on rigger lines to gain a couple extra spoons in the spread as bonus fish. The hook up/landing ratio usually is less than main line fish but I will take the bite vs never getting one.

washing hands after fueling up is a big thing I stick to.

Running flashers on the dipseys in the middle of the spread seems to attract more fish to the overall spread vs running 1 way off to the side on a board or deep down the middle. I always will always have at least one dodger/flasher out even if it isn't catching fish because I believe in its tendency to still attract fish to the rest of your spread.

Running heaver spoons in rough water will give you usually less performance than running lighter spoons in rough water. Due to the weight of the spoon and the rise and fall of the boat in rough water, heaver spoons tend to loose their wobble quicker creating less times your spread is fishing. I like to use light spoons in rough water and heavier spoons in calmer water or a mixture of both in calm water. For example moonshines I would consider a heavier trolling spoon and stingers to be a lighter trolling spoon.

Make sure you have the whole crew before you leave the dock :)

Get tow boat usa the first day you buy a boat.

Use social media and groups/websites like ours to make fishing friends to share your passion and knowledge. It is a big lake the more info you have the better your trips will be.

Don't be afraid to fish mid afternoon as the bite is still there just have to change up game plan from morning plan.

give yourself 5 miles from any sail boat they are drawn to fishing boat spreads like white on rice.
-Lady M- Sea Ray 290 Amberjack

Tips always needed Dec 23, 2019 9:31 pm #25622

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1723
Make sure you hit the shitter before getting to the dock........lol

In all seriousness - I have a good one for you Mike. I will email it, but I have to get some pictures together first.
Boatless!

Tips always needed Dec 23, 2019 9:41 pm #25623

• Storm1m
  • Thank you received: 22
Why hit the shitter before the boat when the one on your boat is amazing. It’s like the Cadillac of shitters. Lol. In all seriousness. I wanna say thanks to Dirty Jeff, Angry Pirate, Ed Erdelac, Jeff McGovern and if I’m forgetting anyone I apologize. If it wasn’t for the friends and information I’ve learned from this group my salmon fishing career would only be a dream. Not that I’m anygood or anything, the point is the quality of people that have reached out to me and give up information they have learned with there time on the water. I am very lucky to have met all of you and no one killed me with all my questions. Lol. Thanks again guys for the help and I hope everyone has a very merry Christmas!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirty, Lickety-Split

Tips always needed Dec 24, 2019 6:52 am #25624

• Plane to Sea
  • Thank you received: 210
Nice tip Jeff. You should get a free knife for this one or at least a roll of TP.

Tips always needed Dec 25, 2019 6:43 pm #25638

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1723
TP for sure! :) :)
Boatless!

• Page: