• Page:

TOPIC:

'TOON-up Days Apr 11, 2018 8:02 am #18762

• BNature
  • BNature's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1462
Long story short, I will be fishing off a Great Lakes rigged pontoon boat Thursday and Friday (April 12 and 13). I don't want to test it, but supposedly will fish nicely in 4 footers. I will be doing a story on this for Great Lakes Angler magazine. So if you see some fools out on a 'toon at East Chicago or near Gary, that fool is me. We'll be on 68 and I'll still answer to Brother Nature or to Dummy on the Pontoon! Feel free to come over close so see the set up or stop by the boat while we are in the marina. Take some photos (hi-res as possible) and send them to me. Perhaps we will be able to use them in the magazine article. Could this be the future of Great Lakes trolling?

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Pikesmith

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'TOON-up Days Apr 11, 2018 10:05 am #18773

• Angry Pirate
  • Thank you received: 488
You will have to let us know how well the bobber floats I mean spears waves. :P I’m sure it was probably designed for big water but I once got a some amusement watching pontoons driving through waves washing peoples belongings of the back on James chain near Fremont indiana on holiday weekends.
It's better to ask forgiveness than for permission.

Last edit: by Angry Pirate.

'TOON-up Days Apr 11, 2018 10:07 am #18774

• G3 angler
  • Thank you received: 7
No Saturday test in the NNE blow... .That would be a quality video to post!
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job.....

'TOON-up Days Apr 14, 2018 5:25 am #18841

• BNature
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Absolutely eye opening! We ran through hard three foot chop on Thursday, Fished in 20 plus winds, cruised in five foot rollers and residual chop on Friday and it was indeed a party. Hit 43 mph at one point, (on purpose) and blew by a couple of medium sized boats bouncing through the same waves. The Angler Qwest boat will be in St. Joe for the next month or so. The model we were on was 24 feet and had a 300 Suzuki on the back.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lickety-Split, Pikesmith

'TOON-up Days Apr 14, 2018 9:22 pm #18856

• netminder34
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 104
Spent a little time on the Portage pier Friday and saw a Toon trolling around outside the ditch. It didn't look like the picture you posted so did not think it was your group. Strange thing to me was they were trolling backwards. Seemed to be by design as they were out there several hours trolling the same way.
Jeff
17' Smokercraft "Kings Ransom 2.0"

'TOON-up Days Apr 15, 2018 5:07 am #18858

• BNature
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
We launched at East Chicago and in the two days we fished from the Ship Canal to the east end of the US Steel landfill. Not close to Portage.

We only went forward, but just think of it. Going in reverse would give excellaht speed control, exceptional tracking on strong windy days, no motor in the way to net fish, more weight in the bow on bouncy wave days and would make all the other fishermen completely convinced it was a boat load of loonies!

The 'toon I was on did have a bow mounted electric.

• Page: