• Lickety-Split
  • Lickety-Split's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1763
Great Lakes Salmon Initiative
3 hrs ·
On Wednesday 12/6/17 we spoke with Kevin Donner of the Little Traverse Bay Tribe. I would like to thank him for his openness and direct comments and answers. It was a real pleasure to talk with him and get an understanding of the Little Traverse Bay tribes insight into their fishery and how it relates to the general sport fishing industry and the difference that exists between tribes. This brings up the importance of Zonal Management in our fishery.
The Little Traverse Bay Tribe is currently planting Cisco in Little Traverse Bay and studying the results of these plants and how this species relates to the fishery in the Traverse Bay area from a commercial and sport fishing aspect. We discussed market value of cisco vs whitefish, diets, genetic lineage, invasive species, mussels, Lake trout among other subjects.
It is important that that both the Tribes and the GLSI have a clear understanding of each others interests and goals. The tribes and sport anglers have a clear interest in utilizing the Great Lake waters and fisheries. That being said with the 2020 Consent Decree coming up it is imperative that we can work together for the interests of both parties. After negotiations are completed the fishermen from both parties are the ones that have to deal with results out on the water. In the past this has created conflicts and prejudices that still weigh heavily in some waters.
Since rifle season is now over and anglers can start to pay attention to GLSI facebook publications we will be very active in the next 5 weeks.
1. Jay Wesley will be making decisions on fish plant numbers and locations
2. GLSI will be having a membership meeting open to the public discussing many topics that should interest everyone and we would like to get input from our members
3.Ludington Sea Grant Workshop that happens every year in January, on Saturday January 13th. This is an extremely important meeting this year and everyone should make an effort to attend. We will discuss this more in the next couple of weeks
4. We will be posting and discussing links to pdf's on many subjects from salmon, to prey species to cisco rehab
5. Fish movement and Lake Huron fisheries management
Stay tuned
Lickety-Split

Life is not measured by the breaths you take
but by the moments that take your breath away
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pikesmith, Wallin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Lickety-Split.

Great Lakes Salmon Inititative 12/8 Dec 08, 2017 6:47 pm #17105

• Steelie Don
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Thank you received: 527
Aren't ciscoes native to the lake? I recently watched a fishing show that targeted ciscoes by trolling spoons in the Traverse bay area. They look like a whitefish and according to the show host are good eating table fare. Are these fish caught in southend?
My Searunner 190, "Four "D's" and a "C". Retirement money well spent.

Great Lakes Salmon Inititative 12/8 Dec 09, 2017 9:03 am #17107

• Lickety-Split
  • Lickety-Split's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1763
I don't believe they are on the south end Don. They are being watched closely up north were they have some spawning grounds that they have been found in.
Lickety-Split

Life is not measured by the breaths you take
but by the moments that take your breath away

Great Lakes Salmon Inititative 12/8 Dec 11, 2017 9:55 am #17125

• netminder34
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 104
I dont believe there are any on the south end either or this be the best habitat for them to find there way to but there are whitefish around so it is possible I guess. Have caught a few in Traverse Bay over the past few years jigging for them in the sring/summer months and through the ice, never hooked up with any trolling.. A little fishy tasting in my opinion but could just be the way I have tried cooking them so far. My sister has been canning them and says they are very good which I need to try. Also heard they are very tasty smoked which I am going to try soon and make some dip for the holidays.
Jeff
17' Smokercraft "Kings Ransom 2.0"

Great Lakes Salmon Inititative 12/8 Dec 12, 2017 10:22 am #17135

• Steelie Don
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Travel Ambasador
  • Thank you received: 527
As I remember on the show the hosts were fishing in excess of 100 ft of water near a dropoff to deeper water. They were fishing during November also. I don't think they said which year either this Nov or last year Nov. The fish looked as like they were easily 2 to 3 pounds each. They caught them using planer boards and riggers and the small Michigan stinger spoons.
My Searunner 190, "Four "D's" and a "C". Retirement money well spent.

Great Lakes Salmon Inititative 12/8 Dec 14, 2017 2:00 pm #17144

• netminder34
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 104
The fish we were catching tipped the scales in the 3-5lb range. The drop offs of Grand Traverse Bay are one of the reasons I think they are doing so well up there. We were fishing the drop offs 70-150 fow.
Jeff
17' Smokercraft "Kings Ransom 2.0"

• Page: